Here’s why it’s a ghost town!
– minus 10 degrees Celsius is considered “warm weather”
– this city is built on permafrost, so buildings deteriorate quickly and most are in crumbling conditions
– the city was originally built by prisoners (untold numbers of them died), so it is very probably haunted… (no, of course not, just kidding)
– the industrial pollution is on par with the worst towns in China – it’s officially one of the ten most polluted cities in the world
– there are no homeless people, because nobody can survive minus 56 degrees Celsius.
– they have literally 45 days of night – the depressing, miserable Arctic night
– the city often endures severe punishing winds, up to 25 meters per second
The ecology around Norilsk is so atrocious that trees can spontaneously ignite from industrial chemicals in the ground – and so only burned sticks are left.